Monday, March 21, 2016

Spring Break :))

My spring break was amazing. My friend Alex, who I met over the summer and stayed in touch with, came to stay with us for four days over break. He's from Brownsville, and I wanted to show him what Austin had to offer. We went to SXSW and saw many great performers. He had never seen a concert before. We saw The Killing Floor and were right up against the stage. We went up and down South Congress and walked through the shops. I bought a handmade metal statue of a man playing guitar from Gifted because it reminded me of a Picasso book I adored when I was younger. We took pictures at the "i love you so much" wall and other famous Austin locations. Later, we went to the Capitol building and looked at all the portraits and rooms. We ate at Gueros, and went to Big Top Candy Shop. The next day, we went to Lake Travis. We swam and tubed all day off my parents' boat. We ate at the Gnarly Gar. We also watched movies and hung out at classic Austin locations. My mom was pretty mad at first when I told her a boy they've never met from a border town was coming to stay with us, but by the end of the trip, my whole family wanted him to stay.
During the break, my family and I went on our annual camping trip at Garner State Park. My friends Amelie and Brady and their families were with me. We went in a big group of about ten families. We swam and went paddle boarding. We went on two exhausting mountain hikes, and I could barely keep up. We stayed up talking and laughing by the camp fire every night. Every meal was cooked over the fire, and the adults kept us well fed. The cooked cinnamon buns, bacon, eggs, steak, hot dogs, hamburgers, stew, roast, and even steaks. We would roast marshmallows by the fire and tell stories every night. We also played some extremely competitive games of volleyball. Even though we all got sunburned badly, I had a lot of fun spending time with them.
I worked two shifts at Austin Scoops during the break. One was at SXSW, before Alex had come to town. I was working in the food trailer in front of the SXSW stage: The Yard. I even got to meet some of the performers. The two guys in the band Flor bought ice cream and tipped me four dollars, which is a lot more than people usually tip. I also served ice cream to a nice British man, and I didn't realize until later that he was the base player for The Crookes.
I spent the one day in between work, camping, and Alex with my friends Ivan and Anna. We hung out at the park, Starbucks, and HEB. I was pretty busy all of spring break, but I made time to read the first half of the book novel. It's about a boy on trial for murder and is extremely hard to put down. I haven't finished it yet, but I would highly recommend it.
I had a great spring break and I'm so glad a packed a lot in one break.

No comments:

Post a Comment